Network operators are deploying Software Defined Networks (SDN) to enable programmability of their networks for efficiency, speed of deployment and new revenue-generating network services. Widespread adoption of the programmability paradigm depends on the availability of common or standardized APIs that allow access to domain specific attributes and mechanisms without requiring the API itself to be specific to the vendor or technology. The Transport API (T-API) is designed to allow network operators to deploy SDN across a multi-domain, multi-vendor transport infrastructure, extending programmability across their networks end-to-end.
By working through the specifications, rigorous interoperability testing and validation, OIF has substantiated T-API as the Northbound Interface (NBI) of choice. OIF, in collaboration with industry leaders, has helped establish a foundation for open, programmable networks that allow operators to efficiently deliver dynamic multi-domain connectivity services to the market.
Webcast with Lightwave
Assuring Open Optical Networking Interoperability
- June 7, 2021 – OIF Thought Leaders to Provide Updates on Co-Packaging, 400ZR, Electrical Data Rates and Transport SDN Projects at Global Conferences
- May 8, 2019 – OIF’s Optical Masterclass Series at NGON to Include Updates on 400ZR, Common Electrical I/O, Flex Ethernet & SDN Projects
- February 20, 2019 – OIF Members to Demonstrate Interoperability of Industry’s Hottest Technologies at OFC 2019
- Nov 15, 2018 – OIF Work Continues to Advance SDN Commercialization Through New Project – “Requirements for Integrated Packer Optical SDN”
- Aug 7, 2018 – OIF Interoperability Test Validates Transport Application Programming Interface (T-API) 2.0 Market-Readiness – Results Published in New White Paper
- Jun 26, 2018 – OIF Concludes Successful SDN Transport API Interoperability Testing – Results to be Revealed Today at NGON
- May 22, 2018 – OIF Announces Read-Out Event for SDN Transport API Interoperability Demo to be Held at NGON Optical Masterclass
- Apr 10, 2018 – OIF Confirms Participants for 2018 Joint-Network Operator, Multi-Vendor SDN Transport API Interoperability Demonstration
- Optinet China 2021 – Beijing – “Overview of OIF Transport SDN Projects”
Wednesday, June 16, 2021 – 11:50-12:10 China Standard Time
During this session, an OIF expert will discuss OIF’s Transport SDN projects and the 2020 Transport SDN API Interop Demonstration, where operator-defined use cases and deployment scenarios for multi-vendor Layer 0 and Layer 1 networks were tested in the Telefonica Madrid lab using the ONF T-API 2.1.3 and OpenConfig device APIs for interoperability between devices, SDN controllers and orchestrators.
Presenter: Hu Qian, OIF Representative, Senior Engineer, Optical Communication Research Center of China Telecom Beijing Research Institute
- OFC 2019 March 7, 2019 at 11:15am
OIF Panel on Showfloor: “The Path to Open, Interoperable Optical Networking”
Moderator: Dave Brown, OIF Communications Director, Nokia
- NGON & DCI World 2019 – May 21, 2019 at 8:00am
The Optical Masterclass Series – Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) Panelists: Dave Brown, Nokia and OIF Director of Communications and Karl Gass, OIF Physical & Link Layer Working Group Vice Chair, Optical
- OFC 2018
- Optinet China 2018
- SDN NFV World Congress
For more information on this project contact Jonathan Sadler, Networking Interoperability Working Group Chair (acting) at email@example.com.
For information on other OIF current projects, please see OIF Current Work
For public OIF Implementation Agreements, please see Implementation Agreements (IAs)